Author Topic: Jurowski M2  (Read 23516 times)

Offline Freddy van Maurik

Re: Jurowski M2
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 09:46:36 PM »
Total silence after M9 is imperative! I really like the way Abbado sort of forces his audience to hold their enthousiasm until he's ready to allow the silence to be broken.

Back OT: I received my copy of the Jurowski M2 today - hope to be able to listen to it tomorrow, along with the Nott M3, that I got in the mail yesterday.

Freddy

Offline hrandall

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 01:00:14 PM »
I've spent some more time with the Jurowski M2, including the latest Mahler Thursday night with my Mahler "buddy." Though I can appreciate the desire for no applause at the end, or it at least separating it from the program with a separate track on the CD, I find that it doesn't bother me that much. I certainly wouldn't want any of you to miss this fabulous version because of the "bravo jerk."

I did listen carefully at the end to see if there's enough space between the last notes and the "bravo" to see if it would be possible to edit it out with audio software if one wished; sadly I don't think it would be possible as the applause does ever so slightly intrude upon the last lingering sounds of the orchestra.

At least in M2, and particularly in this performance, I'll admit that the natural reaction should be stand up and shout Bravo! After, of course, a decent hesitation! :)

Cheers,
Herb

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 08:58:01 PM »
I see that Edward Seckerson gave this a rave review in the August Gramophone, the headline of which reads: "A New Benchmark". Strong words.

Offline John S

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 02:12:32 PM »
Here's a link to that review:

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/mahler-symphony-no-2-%E2%80%98resurrection%E2%80%99-0

Nice piece of writing, especially this:

...the electrifying col legno passage, like the beating wings of the angel of death, so deliberate as to accentuate the sudden rush to the precipice...

Offline John Kim

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 04:31:41 PM »
Here's a link to that review:

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/mahler-symphony-no-2-%E2%80%98resurrection%E2%80%99-0

Nice piece of writing, especially this:

...the electrifying col legno passage, like the beating wings of the angel of death, so deliberate as to accentuate the sudden rush to the precipice...

Well, that's a quite a review.

So, should I invest in yet another Resurrection?? ???

I have over 20 something (probably more ;)) recordings of this symphony and I thought I am pretty happy with the Fischer, Mehta, Klemperer, and Bernstein(s).

John,

Offline brunumb

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 10:07:41 PM »
So, should I invest in yet another Resurrection?? ???
I have over 20 something (probably more ;)) recordings of this symphony and I thought I am pretty happy with the Fischer, Mehta, Klemperer, and Bernstein(s).

Go ahead and get it John.  I have 48 M2s, and it didn't stop me   ;D

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 08:11:57 PM »
That's right! I've some 65 (and counting...) but I'm genuinely happy that I got this one as well!

Offline brunumb

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 01:42:21 AM »
I've listened to the first movement twice so far, and I don't like it.  The tempo changes are annoying and the faster sections are too fast for me.  The notes are all there, the great sound is there, but I felt nothing.  I sampled 'Urlicht' and was not impressed with that either.  After I've taken some meds I will try again, as it appears that I am not in tune with everyone else.

Offline mahlerei

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 12:28:57 PM »
brunumb

You are not alone. Scroll to the end of this Roundup:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2011/July11/July11_1_DL_Roundup.htm

Offline techniquest

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 06:44:45 AM »
Noq that it seems okay to not like this recording, I shall add my name to the list. To me, this is a 'mathematical' reading of the work: played with precision but absolutely without soul. I can cope with all the tempo changes in the first movement, but I cannot forgive Jurowski for what he has done to the symphony's final pages. Sorry, but no.

Offline brunumb

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 09:36:09 AM »
Thanks for that link mahlerei.
The one word that stood out for me in the review was earthbound.  Perhaps Jurowski tried too hard to interpret the work and something got lost in the process. 
And it's reassuring to know that maybe I haven't quite lost the plot........yet. 
But then again, to each his own.  I'm a big fan of the LSO/Solti recording, particularly for the vocalists, and there are those that rate it quite low in the pantheon of M2s.

Offline hrandall

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 01:36:30 PM »
Noq that it seems okay to not like this recording, I shall add my name to the list. To me, this is a 'mathematical' reading of the work: played with precision but absolutely without soul. I can cope with all the tempo changes in the first movement, but I cannot forgive Jurowski for what he has done to the symphony's final pages. Sorry, but no.
What I find fascinating and very endearing about the Mahlerites I've encountered in online and personally is how varied all our tastes are - one person's performance of a lifetime may be utterly unlistenable to others - and how passionate we can all be in our opinions. :) As someone quite new to Mahler's music, I'm still trying to articulate what it is that I like or not about the various CDs I've heard.

It would be very interesting to me, as someone who likes this Jurowski recording, to know what M2 recordings you prefer instead.

Cheers,
Herb

Offline techniquest

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 06:15:28 PM »
It would be very interesting to me, as someone who likes this Jurowski recording, to know what M2 recordings you prefer instead.
I would refer you to your thread headed "A newbie's beginning Mahler collection" where I list the recordings of the symphonies that I especially enjoy. I have a lot of M2's, including a lot of broadcast recordings rather than commercial, some of which are really excellent such as John Neschlings performance with the Sao Paulo State SO, others are really rough around the edges, but very interesting to listen to as they put everything they've got into the performance such as the University Symphony Orchestra of Cgicago under Barbara Schubert.

Offline hrandall

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 04:23:13 PM »
I would refer you to your thread headed "A newbie's beginning Mahler collection" where I list the recordings of the symphonies that I especially enjoy. I have a lot of M2's, including a lot of broadcast recordings rather than commercial, some of which are really excellent such as John Neschlings performance with the Sao Paulo State SO, others are really rough around the edges, but very interesting to listen to as they put everything they've got into the performance such as the University Symphony Orchestra of Cgicago under Barbara Schubert.
Oh, sorry about that - I'd forgotten that you'd replied in that earlier thread. I went back to re-read that and will reply to you there. Do you have an online source for the Neschling / Sao Paulo M2 you can share? It sounds very interesting.

Best,
Herb

Offline techniquest

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 06:15:59 PM »
Oh, sorry about that - I'd forgotten that you'd replied in that earlier thread. I went back to re-read that and will reply to you there. Do you have an online source for the Neschling / Sao Paulo M2 you can share? It sounds very interesting.

Sorry, no I don't. I think I got it from either Operashare or ConcertArchive (both Yahoo groups), but it was quite some time ago.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk