Author Topic: Peter Fulop's Mahler Discography  (Read 18348 times)

Offline Eric Nagamine

Re: Peter Fulop's Mahler Discography
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 10:12:10 AM »
I, for one, can't see spending $180.00 for a book of advice on recommended Mahler recordings (one man's opinion) when I can get all kinds of free advice here, not to mention one (Barry) who offers a musician's insight on how these works should sound and be performed, because he has all the notes and notations on paper in front of him, compared to the vast majority of us who cannot follow or understand an orchestral score.  And yes, recognized critics like David Hurwitz can exercise some influence, though we may agree to disagree at times......

A reminder that Fulop's book is a discography with timings and recording date/info., not an annotated listing (with reviews like Lewis Smoley's 2 volumes). Vincent's on-line discography doesn't have the timing information and is based on the 1st edition of Peter Fulop's discography. Whether the additional information is worth it is up to you of course.

If you really want to ponder how much you want to spend on a Mahler book, consider the new edition of Gilbert Kaplan's Mahler Album book.  Would you even spend 31 USD for even more pictures of Mahler even if you spent almost 200 USD for the 1st edition when it came out?

-------------
Eric Nagamine

Offline waderice

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 11:18:39 AM »
I, for one, can't see spending $180.00 for a book of advice on recommended Mahler recordings (one man's opinion) when I can get all kinds of free advice here, not to mention one (Barry) who offers a musician's insight on how these works should sound and be performed, because he has all the notes and notations on paper in front of him, compared to the vast majority of us who cannot follow or understand an orchestral score.  And yes, recognized critics like David Hurwitz can exercise some influence, though we may agree to disagree at times......

A reminder that Fulop's book is a discography with timings and recording date/info., not an annotated listing (with reviews like Lewis Smoley's 2 volumes). Vincent's on-line discography doesn't have the timing information and is based on the 1st edition of Peter Fulop's discography. Whether the additional information is worth it is up to you of course.

If you really want to ponder how much you want to spend on a Mahler book, consider the new edition of Gilbert Kaplan's Mahler Album book.  Would you even spend 31 USD for even more pictures of Mahler even if you spent almost 200 USD for the 1st edition when it came out?

-------------
Eric Nagamine

I refused to spend the huge amount of money for the Kaplan Mahler Album when it first came out.  The pictures contained therein, to my mind were great, but did not justify the expense.  $31.00 for the reprint of the Kaplan Mahler Album is DEFINITELY a lot more reasonable, and a bargain, and I think he realized he was mistaken for charging the insane price he did for the initial edition.  But for someone to update and charge almost twice the price for a discography is insane, especially during these hard economic times.  You may still be working and drawing a decent paycheck, but I'm retired and have to carefully consider what I buy in Mahler recordings and books.

Wade

Offline hrandall

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 08:45:08 PM »
I thought I should update you on what I decided to do to treat myself for my 40th birthday. Tomorrow I will receive the Universal Edition Study Score for M3, and will pick up a few more CDs when they are released soon: Jansons / RCO M3 and Jurowski / LPO M2 for sure. In the end, I felt that in my young career as a Mahler nut case, I still have a lot of recordings to collect, a few scores to buy, etc. So the discography will have to wait for another year while I whittle down higher priority items from my Amazon wish list.

And I heartily agree that this board is such a wealth of insight about all things Mahler. Already I've found some wonderful recordings thanks to advice from you all. So thank you for everyone who's contributed in one way or another here.

Cheers,
Herb

john haueisen

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 10:50:14 PM »
Happy Birthday, Herb!

Offline hrandall

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 03:31:09 PM »
Happy Birthday, Herb!

Thank you!

Speaking of good advice on the board, my wife got me the Saraste / Oslo M6, I'm listening to it now. Very nice so far, I think.

Cheers,
Herb

john haueisen

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 03:41:05 PM »
Herb,
Please continue that availability of good advice at the board, by telling us, when you are able, what you think of this M6.
M6 has always been one of my top 5, and juvenile as I may sound to some, I'd like to hear what you think of this recording's Hammerschlags.
--John 

Offline hrandall

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 05:05:05 PM »
To resurrect an old thread with an update: Peter Fulop's Mahler Discography is now on sale at his site http://www.mahlerrecords.com for 90 USD. I succumbed to temptation and bought it a couple of weeks ago. I'm very happy with the purchase but understand not everyone would consider it a "must buy." Still, at half price, I couldn't resist.

Unfortunately, his site seems to be malfunctioning at the moment, I'm not sure you can even get an order placed.

Still, thought I'd mention it in case anyone else on the fence about the book wanted to take advantage of the sale.

Cheers,
Herb

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 02:02:02 AM »
I've found it to be extremely useful over the years, and I hope you will as well. Enjoy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk