6 (16.7%)
Gielen
0 (0%)
Bertini
12 (33.3%)
Sinopoli
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Best Mahler Boxset Currently Available  (Read 18641 times)

michaelw

Re: Best Mahler Boxset Currently Available
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 09:35:27 PM »
The Bertini box is an obvious choice because of constantly good playing and very good sound. However, I got the Neumann box later and whenever
I hear it (or parts of it), I like the these fine, underestimated performances more.
So if I had the chance to select three boxes, I would click Bernstein (Sony), Neumann, Bertini (in chronological order). But I here I decided to select Neumann.

Michael

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2007, 02:51:31 AM »
Yeah, I should have mentioned the Neumann set. I really love the sound and style of his M7, but just wish the last two movements were a bit faster. I really like the Czech Phil. in Mahler.
Barry

Offline Psanquin

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007, 07:04:06 AM »
Best Mahler Boxset Currently Available? Difficult to answer as “best” has different meanings for each of us.

I find Sinopoli’s cycle the most appealing and clever but I would not say that it is the best. To me the most consistent is Abbado but I vote for Bernstein CBS. In spite of the sound, not bad but quite improvable, every symphony is rendered whit the utmost intensity. Only the Fifth is disappointing. Bernstein DG cycle in spite wonderful orchestras and sound is spoiled with Lenny's manierisms.

I find that Bertini is being overestimated. I love his Mahler, even I have wonderful memories of live concerts with Fifth and Seventh, but how many of his symphonies are a first choice?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 09:15:37 AM »
"but how many of his symphonies are a first choice?"

I don't feel that that's the point. The point is that Bertini's cycle is incredibly consistant in terms of interpretive approach, sound quality, and orchestral execution. For me, his 8th is definitely my first choice, and his "DLvdE" is darn near a first choice. The Sinopoli box is waaay more hit and miss - mostly misses in my book.

Barry Guerrero

Offline Damfino

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 01:55:42 PM »
I think one of the reasons the Bertini cycle is so appreciated is the value.  When it comes to box sets, "what you get for the money" is a large part of what makes it appealing.  I bought the Bertini set for, like $30 because i had an Amazon bonus credit.  Many of the laudatory reviews mention what a great value the set is.   Considering its affordability, the quality of the sound and the over all quality of performances, it is difficult to not recommend the cycle.

Even if some of the recordings may not be my first choice, I could certainly live with all as my only Mahler if someone took all my singles away.

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007, 04:46:40 PM »
To some extent I agree with each of the last three posts.  The reason that I do not personally select the Bertini as my first or second choice is that only two or three of the performances are definite first tier favorites of mine (M8 for sure, and most likely the DLvdE, M4).  However, every performance is at least good -- there is not an unenjoyable one in the batch.  For that reason, I would probably make it my first recommendation to someone that wanted ONLY ONE box set of Mahler (if such a strange person really existed  ;D ).  Conversely, I do not like the M2 or M7 in the Chailly set, eventhough it is my personal 2nd choice overall.  Eventhough the Lennie/DG is my personal favorite, I would not recommend it as someone's only Mahler set because there is so much Lennie in it -- and the Bertini is much more straight forward, without lacking any bit of personality.   
Scott

Offline Psanquin

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2007, 09:34:49 PM »
I appreciate your thoughts regarding Bertini Eighth, but I must say that I am not fond of this recording. Not only it is marred by a hideous tenor –just listen to his barking in Höchsten Herrscherin der Welt; the tempi are quite inconsistent, whit unjustified shifts, and only the Chorus Mysticus is really first class.

But do not think I hate Bertini’s Mahler. In a scale from 0 to 10 this is the marks I give to each symphony in his cycle.

GM1: 8
GM2: 8
GM3: 8
GM4: 7
GM5: 9
GM6: 8
GM7: 9
GM8: 7
GM9: 8

Vatz Relham

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2007, 09:59:53 PM »
I appreciate your thoughts regarding Bertini Eighth, but I must say that I am not fond of this recording. Not only it is marred by a hideous tenor –just listen to his barking in Höchsten Herrscherin der Welt; the tempi are quite inconsistent, whit unjustified shifts, and only the Chorus Mysticus is really first class.

But do not think I hate Bertini’s Mahler. In a scale from 0 to 10 this is the marks I give to each symphony in his cycle.

GM1: 8
GM2: 8
GM3: 8
GM4: 7
GM5: 9
GM6: 8
GM7: 9
GM8: 7
GM9: 8

Here's how I would rank Bertini's set on a scale of 0-10.
Even though Bertini's set is a great buy in terms price, the main appeal for me is in the performances and sound not price first,
you can buy the Maazel set very cheaply, but would you want to ?

Also I don't think it's a coincedence that my favorite performances are also the Live recordings.

M1: 10
M2: 7
M3: 8
M4: 8
M5: 9
M6: 8
M7: 9
M8: 10
DLVDE: 10
M9: 9
M10: 9

Vatz

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2007, 10:09:17 PM »
you can buy the Maazel set very cheaply, but would you want to?

Yes I would...and I have  :)

--Leo

Vatz Relham

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 11:48:25 PM »

--Leo

Leo,

I apologize, I know peoples opinions on music are very subjective, and very dramatically.
And I actually do like Maazel's M4. I just like Bertini a lot more!

Sincerely,
Vatz

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2007, 11:58:17 PM »

--Leo

Leo,

I apologize, I know peoples opinions on music are very subjective, and very dramatically.
And I actually do like Maazel's M4. I just like Bertini a lot more!

Sincerely,
Vatz

No problem at all!!!  :)

--Leo

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2007, 08:39:34 PM »
...hideous tenor –just listen to his barking in Höchsten Herrscherin der Welt;

LOL  ;D  I always enjoy witty criticisms. 

For my money, I agree that the singing on the Bertini M8 is not my favorite aspect of it, but I do like the playing of the orchestra and most of Bertini's conducting.  One aspect of the conducting that I do not like is the way he rushes the penitent women section.  Conversely, I know that BG loves this aspect of the recording.  To each his own. 
Scott

Offline Damfino

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2007, 10:01:45 PM »
I was not suggesting that one buy the cheapest set, BTW.  I just mentioned that you do get a lot for the money with the Bertini Mahler set.  If the performances were sub-par, a good price would be meaningless.  Personally, I think I'd like Gielen's set, based on the reviews I've read and samples I've heard.  But the asking price is just too steep.   And it's not like I'm hurting for another cycle.  I'd have to get a nice bonus this year to justify it.

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2007, 10:04:37 PM »
I can only read what you all have to say, for I have few box sets, and probably wouldn't know where to begin to make worthwhile suggestions anyway. My general preference is for live recordings. In applying that preference to box sets, I suppose I would select the NYPO Mahler Broadcasts set. In it you get a variety of conductors and, if the performance was during the asthma/flu/cold season, there is a lot of audience participation. ::) I believe it is the only recording commercially available of Sir John Barbirolli's 1959 colorful treatment of the Third Movement of M 1--it remains a mystery how he persuaded the NYPO to play like slightly tipsy street musicians. It's a must-hear.

The other box set with live recordings is the Haitink Kerstmatinees collection, which doesn't seem to be available in this country--but you can order it from the Netherlands. The box is worth having by itself, for it has a photo of Haitink with an expression on his face and a clearly active gesture with a fist. Have you seen it, Barry? ;D

Instead of getting the box sets, I usually end up acquiring the contents piecemeal, either before they were issued as a set--as in the case of Chailly--or after the set is no longer available.

. & '

Offline Seán

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2008, 12:45:45 PM »
I have the Bertini, Kubelik and Haitink sets.  I got the three of them a few months ago.  I have not listened at any great length to the Haitink set yet.  On balance I prefer the Kubelik to the Bertini set.  The Bertini are consistently good and the M5 is special, however, for me the Kubelik set has a few exceptional recordings most notably the First, Fourth and the Sixth.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk