Author Topic: Forthcoming & New Releases 2017  (Read 50748 times)

Offline GL

Re: Forthcoming & New Releases 2017
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 11:01:26 AM »
... symphonies 6 through 8 form a 'darkness to light' trilogy of its own, regardless of whether Mahler was aware that he had done that or not...

The usual Freudian analysis indeed...

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 01:54:43 PM »
There is also an Ivan Fischer/BFO Mahler 3 coming out this year, as well as his 7th. I emailed Channel Classics asking about the 7th, they said it's still coming, they are just going with the 3rd first. Hopefully he gets his swagger back with these two. I am looking forward to both of them.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Adam Fischer 7th just after Christmas. Instead I picked up an amazing Die Frau Ohne Schatten with Wiegle and Frankfurt. Maybe we can get another Mahler recording from Francois Xavier-Roth this year. His recording of the first from a few years ago was really enjoyable to me.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 07:24:30 PM »
"Die Frau Ohne Schatten with Wiegle and Frankfurt"   .    .    . 

Do tell. Is it a dvd? What label? (I love "DFoS")

Offline GL

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 07:40:57 PM »
There is also an Ivan Fischer/BFO Mahler 3 coming out this year, as well as his 7th. I emailed Channel Classics asking about the 7th, they said it's still coming, they are just going with the 3rd first. Hopefully he gets his swagger back with these two. I am looking forward to both of them.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Adam Fischer 7th just after Christmas. Instead I picked up an amazing Die Frau Ohne Schatten with Wiegle and Frankfurt. Maybe we can get another Mahler recording from Francois Xavier-Roth this year. His recording of the first from a few years ago was really enjoyable to me.

I found Mahler's Ninth with BFO/Fischer, their latest release, very nice and I am looking forward to M3 and M7.

Years ago I wrote to Channel Classics enquiring about their project about recording Mahler's Symphonies with BFO/Fischer. At that time M2, M4 and M6 were available and they replied having spoken of recording M1, M3 and M5 in the future. When I read BFO/Fischer were touring with M7, I thought they were preparing to record it, but, after a while, M1 was released. It was a bit peculair in certain details, but excellent and wonderfully recorded. I had great, perhaps too high expectations for M5, but it turned out to be a spectacular disappointment (I found it even disappointing on the technical side of the recorded sound). It made me wonder what's wrong with this symhony that so many conductors can't get it right.

According to an interview of 2006, Ivan Fischer, "Not a fan of complete cycles, he’d rather only conduct those works that he has a truly deep connection with and leave the others to other conductors. He admits straightaway that there are already so many full cycles that there is no point in just doing another one. The symphony of Mahler’s that he is less fond of than the others is – not surprising for a ‘Mahlerian’ - the pompous glory-feast (my words, not his) that is the Eight Symphony. This very complicated, complex, monumental work (his words, not mine) is “not his cup of tea”." (http://ionarts.blogspot.it/2006/10/interview-with-ivan-fischer.html)

After reading that Bernard Haitink, interviewied by the Gramophone Magazine, said that because Mahler is such a special composer, recordings of his music should be rare and then went on to become the world champion of Mahler recordings, I am a bit skeptical about Fischer's words. Moreover, while 7 years ago at Channel Classic's project was limited to Symphonies No. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, a Ninth is just available and they are confirmed to Mr. Vehemence that, after the Third, they will record the Seventh. I find it difficult to think they will resist the temptation to cap the palace with the big dome of the Eight.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 08:16:02 PM »

It's actually Weigle and was recorded by Oehms. The sound is stunning in this one. My only other Schatten is with Sinopoli, a recording I always have enjoyed, but this is on another level.

It's this recording:
https://www.amazon.com/Strauss-Die-Frau-ohne-Schatten/dp/B00XZKQCXG/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1487880849&sr=1-3&keywords=die+frau+ohne+schatten

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 08:47:10 PM »
I'd like to ask a question. Both Bartok's "Concerto for Orchestra" and "Music for S., P. & C." have creepy sounding "night music" movements that are central to those works. Why is it that nobody psychoanalysis Bartok for that? Why is it that nobody questions his happy, dance-like finales as being 'false'?

They're appreciated at face value as pure pieces of music. Mahler should be accommodated the same way.

Offline GL

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 11:10:26 PM »
I'd like to ask a question. Both Bartok's "Concerto for Orchestra" and "Music for S., P. & C." have creepy sounding "night music" movements that are central to those works. Why is it that nobody psychoanalysis Bartok for that? Why is it that nobody questions his happy, dance-like finales as being 'false'?

They're appreciated at face value as pure pieces of music. Mahler should be accommodated the same way.

It is less known (because Mahler is more famous and debated), but, actually, Bartok has been psychanalyzed for that. His "night music" movements (there are in concertos and piano works too, for example in the suite "Outdoors") has been related to the fact that he spent his early infancy quite isolated because of a skin disease (a severe eczema). Moreover, he lost his father when he was seven.

Some of his happy, dance-like finales has been criticized. For example, the Concerto for orchestra has been entirely questioned by the avanguarde because it was considered a step back towards music more audience-friendly than the one Brtok composed during the 30s. On the other hand, other dance-like movements are not questioned because, being related to his work with folk-music, are considered part of his quest for a personal voice, outside the Austrian-German tradition.

The problems with Mahler's Seventh began mostly after the First World War and, above all, after the negative judgement of Adorno. Nevertheless, Paul Bekker, the most important and influential Mahler scholar before Adorno, considered the Rondos of the Fifth and Seventh Symphony quite successful. I concur with Bekker.

Offline GL

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 11:36:27 PM »

It's actually Weigle and was recorded by Oehms. The sound is stunning in this one. My only other Schatten is with Sinopoli, a recording I always have enjoyed, but this is on another level.

It's this recording:
https://www.amazon.com/Strauss-Die-Frau-ohne-Schatten/dp/B00XZKQCXG/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1487880849&sr=1-3&keywords=die+frau+ohne+schatten

FROSCH, as it was called by Strauss himself (it means "frog" in German), with Sinopoli has cuts and is not recorded very well while the Frankfurt/Weigle series has really impressive sonics in general (I had the Ring, Puccini's Fanciulla del West and Korngold's Tode Stadt and they are wonderfully recorded, despite being live).

You should try FROSCH with Solti (the one with Domingo, without cuts) and Boehm.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2017, 11:57:12 PM »

It's this recording:

FROSCH, as it was called by Strauss himself (it means "frog" in German), with Sinopoli has cuts and is not recorded very well while the Frankfurt/Weigle series has really impressive sonics in general (I had the Ring, Puccini's Fanciulla del West and Korngold's Tode Stadt and they are wonderfully recorded, despite being live).

You should try FROSCH with Solti (the one with Domingo, without cuts) and Boehm.
I will check out the Solti and Boehm recordings, thanks.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 09:38:31 AM »
I already own both the Bohm and Solti recordings (I prefer the Bohm, in spite of any cuts). I just wanted to know about this Frankfurt one. Could you provide the label, please.

Offline GL

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 10:02:25 AM »
I already own both the Bohm and Solti recordings (I prefer the Bohm, in spite of any cuts). I just wanted to know about this Frankfurt one. Could you provide the label, please.

OEHMS CLASSICS: OC964

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2017, 03:55:14 AM »
Thank you!

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2017, 08:04:13 PM »
GL, thanks for the detailed work you've done here.

I believe there's still a Janson's M8 on Youtube from Munich. I guess that one has never been issued on dvd. Interesting.

My bet is that Ivan Fischer and Channel Classics will avoid M8. But that would be a good opportunity for Adam Fischer to do it 'live'.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:10:46 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline GL

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 10:30:57 AM »
GL, thanks for the detailed work you've done here.

I believe there's still a Janson's M8 on Youtube from Munich. I guess that one has never been issued on dvd. Interesting.

My bet is that Ivan Fischer and Channel Classics will avoid M8. But that would be a good opportunity for Adam Fischer to do it 'live'.

You are welcome.

I know about the M8/Jansons on Youtube. On Yotube or torrent there is also a selection of Wunderhornlieder with Hampson/RCO/Jansons. I do not often write about stuff you can find on Youtube or torrent because I do not know if has been legally uploaded.

On Youtube there is also a video of M8/RCO/Haitink that I find strange it has never been released on DVD (if I am wrong, please, let me know).

On Youtube I recently found a fabulous M1 (HD video) with the Philhadelphia Orchestra/Nezet-Seguin. I'd like to ask something to my American friends around here: Nezet-Seguin is making oustanding Mahler recordings with the BRSO (another video one of BRSO/M1 has just popped up on Youtube), the LPO, the Rotterdam Philharmonic (a M10 you can find on Youtube); moreover (a part from a not convincing Figaro) he recorded fine Mozart Operas with European Ensembles; why then, a part some mp3 downloads (M5 & M8, as far as I know), is he not recording anything with the Philadelphia Orchestra, which I think it to be the best one among the orchestras with which he works?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:01:32 PM by GL »

Offline GL

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 10:33:18 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk