Author Topic: It's January - it must be M1-a-thon time!  (Read 14486 times)

Offline techniquest

It's January - it must be M1-a-thon time!
« on: January 01, 2008, 04:16:04 PM »
Well being the first month of the year, it kind of gives us a good excuse to listen to and compare the recordings we have of Mahlers first symphony (with a gentle nod to Leo K's M8-a-thon idea).
I still have the first M1 I ever owned; a cheap vinyl recording on Classics for Pleasure with Gaetano Delogu conducting the LPO. It was specifically recorded for CfP in 1976 in the days when the LPO was sponsored by the cigarette people WD & HO Wills (how times have changed!). The LP cover has their logo displayed on both the front and the back - how the fragile minds of tiny children must have been corrupted and traumatised back then on glancing this horror in the record shop....But I digress; I've just given the disc a whirl for the first time in many, many years.
It's an optimistic, lively performance with really lovely sounding horns and a bright sound altogether apart from the tympani which sound just a little dampened. The second movement is faster than I am used to now, but the funerial third has just about the right pace. It dies away and I can still remember jumping out of my skin when the stand cymbal heralded the 'ff' orchestral outburst that opened the 4th! The muted brass here sounds great. The quiet sections prior to the central climax and the ending gave me the broody, mysterious sense that I have always admired in Mahler, but the ending itself is great with the typanists and triangle really gunning for it in a real romp to the closing page! I wonder if this performance ever made it to CD.

Offline stillivor

Re: It's January - it must be M1-a-thon time!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 08:04:43 PM »
Yes, i quite like the idea of spending a month on various versiions of one symphony.

Delogu does something Bernstein does, and B.'s version was the BBC building a Lib. choice a few months ago.

Ivor

Offline sbugala

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 03:22:57 AM »
After getting Zinman's M3 for Christmas, I soon purchased his M1.  So, I'm kinda on an M1 kick now. I listened to Boulez's M1 with Chicago to see if it stood up to the newcomer, and I confess that even though I'm not a big Boulez fan, I'm in no rush to get rid of it.  Chicago doesn't sound as punchy and overly muscular as they did for so long.  I don't know what version I'll haul out next...maybe one of Haitink's.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 09:18:17 AM »
The Boulez/CSO M1 is excellent, and much better recorded than the Boulez/CSO M9. However, the scherzo is awfully fast. I prefer it slower, with more swing and lilt to it - more rusticity, if you will.

Barry
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 08:59:19 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline techniquest

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 10:19:21 PM »
In keeping with the theme, today I bought the Herbert Kegel / Dresden Philharmonic recording on Edel Classics in a second-hand store (yes, ever the cheap-skate). Thus far I have listened only to the first two movements and found the slow, almost ponderous tempo and hesitation in the rhythm most alarming during the beginning of the the second movement. Still, it's different I suppose. I wonder what's going to happen in movements 3 & 4.....

Offline stillivor

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 11:01:56 AM »
 So far I've enjoyed Delagu - very spritely, and Ancerl - very warm, thoughtful and wise.

Currently on, Kirsten Flagstad in LeFGesellen. She's trying not to sound like it's opera, with mixed results. :-\

Ivor

Offline techniquest

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 08:04:48 PM »
Wow, glad I didn't spend too much on that Kegel M1. What an eccentric reading! I bought it on the strength of his superb recording of Shostakovichs 'Execution of Stepan Razin' on Phillips with the Leipzig orchestra, but this is nowhere near that, not by a long way. It is strangely recorded, in places it almost feels amateur - the sections and individual instruments have no depth to them, and the cymbals are simply horrid! In parts of the quiet sections of the 4th movement the strings have an almost synthetic vibrato - it sounds as if the sound engineers have slid the volume control up and down very fast! In another section, the solo trumpet is so far 'up-front' that it sounds more like a trumpet concerto. No, I can't be doing with it, sorry but for me at least, this M1 is a no-go.
I have plenty more of them to discuss however...

Offline techniquest

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 09:15:09 PM »
Another slightly more obscure M1. This time it's the often undervalued combo of the Ljubljana Symphony Orchestra under Anton Nanut.
This reading opens very slowly, the high strings chord almost 'fading in' rather than being a definite start. The woodwinds and horns which gradually enter as the bars progress are just as they should be and when the 'sunshine breakfast' theme starts, it's delightful and optimistic with audible harp and delicate strings and flutes.  :) All is quite acceptible until the last few pages when the whole orchestra finally reaches ff - the horn 'whoops' are really weak and it feels that the whole movement has lost it's impetus somewhere in the quieter meanderings of 3 or four minutes ago...
The second movement bounces in at just the right speed with bright upper strings and lovely 'pinched nose' muted horns, but once again it's the climax of this first section which lets it all down; no accelerando and a lacklustre crescendo to final chord. The second, slower, section of this movement works quite well and, once it gets back to the original theme and heads towards conclusion, this time there's a little more 'oomph' in the orchestra and it feels a bit more satisfactory. So on to movement 3...
The solo double bass is too quiet (pp rather than p) as is the bassoon which follows it, but thankfully the whole of the orchestra as each part enters in the minor canon keeps this very quiet dynamic and it's only when the 'gipsy' theme enters that things change. This section works nicely. The next part which opens with the harp reminiscent of the 5th's adagietto yet to come, is gentle but missing something as is the recapitulation of the canon and gipsy theme, until the whole thing sinks back into the steady but slightly too fast, quiet timpani beat with very quiet tam-tam (strain hard and you'll just catch it)...
Kaboom! The orchestra bursts in, but oh dear. This is playing the notes and little else. It's pedestrian, measured, clipped even. Once the noisy stuff dies down, the orchestra seems more relaxed in gentler, quiet section that follows and the quality of playing increases. When the main (triumphant?) theme comes in on that really surprising chord change not long after the 2 loud tam-tam strokes (yes it's there) it almost works but for a really annoying trumpet that seems to have found a microphone all of it's own! This dies down to bring in a recapitulation of the symphonies opening with quiet brass and woodwind flourishes which really are excellent. And that's just about the last time the orchestra plays with anything like a professional sound. The climax and coda are simply awful; plodding, not quite together, almost afraid of the music.
I'm quite a supporter of recordings by less-than-top-notch bands and this recording is part of a set of Mahlers symphonies by Slovenian outfits which includes Nanut and the Ljubljana in much better form in the 8th and Milan Horvaths' rather splendid 'Resurrection' with the Slovenian Philharmonic, about which I shall tell more in February...

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 03:57:06 AM »
Thanks for that excellant review...and what a great thread this is.

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 05:17:39 AM »
I don't have much useful to contribute to this topic. I very much liked the recent David Zinman M1. For me, it struck the right balance between outdoor rusticity and urbane sophistication (similar to the Kubelik, I'd say, but with better sound). I also liked the relatively quick tempo for "Blumine", which was tacked on as an addendum.

I also own these, which means I really like them: Kletzki/Vienna Phil. (terrible cut near the end of the finale, though); Hiroshi Wakasugi/Staatskapelle Dresden (very rustic - wonderful playing); Jarvi/Royal Scottish Nat. orch. (slow scherzo; fast "frere jacques" in minor); Kobayshi/Czech Phil. (another one that strikes a good balance between rusticity and urbanity); Chailly/Concertgebouw; Bernstein/Concertgebouw (from the box); Hans Vonk/St. Louis S. O. (a real sleeper); Tennstedt/CSO (a bit too slow for me, but great playing); Giulini/CSO (my favorite of the various CSO ones).

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 03:56:10 PM »
Pretty soon I will finally hear the Zinman and MTT M1 on SACD, which I bought but I haven't heard yet due to my current M4 obsession.

My favorite M1's are the Bernstein/RCO and the two Horenstein's, and the Adler with the Vienna Orch...love the "out of tune" beginning of the third movement on that one.

I regret selling off Rattle's M1 awhile ago...I now think it's a worthy performance.

-Todd

« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 03:58:03 PM by Leo K »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 07:28:39 PM »
Hey guys, forget about M1st! It's time to order Macal/CPO/Exton M9th today ;D

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 08:21:10 PM »
Hey guys, forget about M1st! It's time to order Macal/CPO/Exton M9th today ;D

John,

;D  I ordered mine!

Offline techniquest

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 08:09:29 AM »
I used Radio 3's website 'Listen Again' feature last night to listen to a live M1 with the BBC Philharmonic under Vassily Sinaisky; it's really rather good.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/classical/listen/mahler_symphony1.shtml

There is also an excellent commentary on M1 with examples in the 'Discovering Music Archive' which si well worth listening to.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/discoveringmusic/audioarchive.shtml

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 08:07:23 AM »
I listened to the commentary on M1. I liked it, as I appreciate any attempt to talk about the music itself, and less about biographical baggage. It's clearly a step in the right direction. The trio section of the scherzo is a tad too slow, however. But to counter that slight miscalculation (to me, anyway), he doesn't drag the "Frere Jacques in minor" start to the third movement. It's often times played waaaaay too slow. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk