Author Topic: How did'ya discover Mahler?  (Read 71490 times)

Offline stillivor

Re: How did'ya discover Mahler?
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2012, 10:17:42 PM »
Btw, welcome Frankie

Ivor

Offline olofn

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2012, 11:01:40 AM »
My first Mahler recording was the 1st with Chicago Symphony and Giulini. I liked it, but not more than so. Later I got the 2nd symphony and since then I have been devoted to Mahler for almost 40 years. 

Btw, last Saturday I heard the 2nd live for the first time. It was a great experience for me !

/Olle

Offline Roffe

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2012, 04:37:37 AM »
Välkommen till GustavMahlerboard, Olle.

Roffe

Offline stillivor

« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2012, 06:52:39 AM »
Welcome Olofne. Look forward to benefiting from your experience.

Ivor

Offline perotin

« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2012, 07:45:23 PM »
interesting thread and great forum!I am reader for some time.

I've discovered Mahler via classical radio station. I've been listening to that station constantly, waiting for some Wagner (which was my first classical-music hero) but then, at some evening of 2005, they've broadcasted 5th symphony. I've never heard of Mahler before so I was bit astounded when I've heard funeral march as the first part of a symphony. My first thought was: what a great sense of humour that composer had! :) Some days after I've bought cheap 5th cd with Nanut conducting and the rest is history...

best regards for all posters. my english is a bit poor to join some discussions, but I read 90% of threads here

Offline Clov

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2012, 07:04:25 PM »
interesting thread and great forum!I am reader for some time.

I've discovered Mahler via classical radio station. I've been listening to that station constantly, waiting for some Wagner (which was my first classical-music hero) but then, at some evening of 2005, they've broadcasted 5th symphony. I've never heard of Mahler before so I was bit astounded when I've heard funeral march as the first part of a symphony. My first thought was: what a great sense of humour that composer had! :) Some days after I've bought cheap 5th cd with Nanut conducting and the rest is history...

best regards for all posters. my english is a bit poor to join some discussions, but I read 90% of threads here

Welcome ! ! !

Discovered Mahler via a compact disc for one dollar at Blockbuster Music in roughly 1995. It was M1 'Der Titan'.

Rondo-Finale from M5 is one of my all time favorite movements of Mahler.

I've become stuck to the Inbal/FRSO and Bernstein/Vienna recordings of this movement, making it near impossible to enjoy others performances, though I've definitely tried.

I heard someone say this is musical laziness; I disagree.

Besides, I don't want the recording companies 'laughing all the way to the bank' on my account.

;)

'A man of means by no means.' - Roger Miller

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2012, 04:39:56 AM »
Don't fret.  I and others have already mad them wealthy.  Explore alternatives & enjoy!
Russ Smiley

Offline Clov

« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2012, 12:22:45 PM »
Don't fret.  I and others have already mad them wealthy.  Explore alternatives & enjoy!

I've done my part also. My comment was in retrospect and hindsight only I'm affraid.  :-\
'A man of means by no means.' - Roger Miller

Offline Paz

« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2012, 02:17:50 PM »
Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum. Firstly I apologize for my poor english, I'm writing from Italy.  ::)

Here is how I discovered Mahler's amazing music. It's kinda funny. You know, I use to turn the radio on when I wake up, but in fact I won't get out of bed without first listening to a couple of songs. So I'm used to listen to whatever music Radio3 (the "cultural" radio channel in Italy) is playing while I'm between sleeping and waking. You know how responsive the brain is to music while being in between sleeping and waking. So one morning I got out of bed and I was like "uhm, was it a heavenly dream or have I really listened to one of the most beautiful and deep music I've ever heard?". That music really shocked me, it was like a revelation, the kind of experience I won't ever forget, even if I can't really remember anything precise about that.

So I ran to the computer and wait for the list of songs played by Radio3 that morning. It turned out the song was the Urlicht from Symphony no. 2, I think played by Petra Lang and Chailly. From that day on, I fell in love with Mahler's music, and I'm still in love with it like on the first day.
« Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum » (F. Nietzsche, Götzen-Dämmerung, 1888, chapter I, § 33).

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2012, 11:14:08 PM »
Welcome to the Mahler Board, Paz. Your story of "first contact" is an interesting one; how long ago was your experience with Urlicht and how did things develop after that?
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline Roffe

« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2012, 05:19:02 AM »
Welcome to the Gustav Mahler Board, Paz. Don't worry about your English (it doesn't seem bad to me); here we discuss Mahler's life and music to the best of our ability.

Roffe

Offline Damfino

« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2012, 06:14:45 PM »
Speaking of discovering Mahler, has anyone here checked out filmmaker Jason Starr's DVDs on the M2 and M3? I stumbled across them on Amazon, where they received mixed reviews.  He apparently discusses what the music may be about while playing excerpts. Those of us who have read countless CD and LP jackets and/or biographies of Mahler might not get much out of them; but I was wondering if they'd be a good introduction to non-Mahlerites?

Anyone seen them?

dave

Offline Paz

« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2012, 11:07:19 AM »
Welcome to the Mahler Board, Paz. Your story of "first contact" is an interesting one; how long ago was your experience with Urlicht and how did things develop after that?

Thank you, James. My "first contact" was 4 years ago. Then I went on listening to M5 and Des Knaben Wunderhorn. Then M2, and so on... Now I love all Mahler's symphonies and Lieder. They're so amazing.  :)

Quote from: Roffe
Welcome to the Gustav Mahler Board, Paz. Don't worry about your English (it doesn't seem bad to me); here we discuss Mahler's life and music to the best of our ability.

Roffe

Thanks!  :)
« Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum » (F. Nietzsche, Götzen-Dämmerung, 1888, chapter I, § 33).

Offline waderice

« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2012, 03:48:28 PM »
Speaking of discovering Mahler, has anyone here checked out filmmaker Jason Starr's DVDs on the M2 and M3? I stumbled across them on Amazon, where they received mixed reviews.  He apparently discusses what the music may be about while playing excerpts. Those of us who have read countless CD and LP jackets and/or biographies of Mahler might not get much out of them; but I was wondering if they'd be a good introduction to non-Mahlerites?

Anyone seen them?

dave

I have the one on M2, and am considering getting the one on M3.  I have mixed feelings about the one on M2, though that's only one man's opinion, and he was lucky to be able to put his impressions onto film.  There are likely as many different opinions as there are advocates of both M2 and M3 feel that the symphonies are telling them.

Wade

Offline Damfino

« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2012, 06:29:28 PM »
Wade, does the film follow Mahler's notes for the symphony, in which he describes what happens in each movement (march of the dead, great summons, etc)?

Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk