Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I think Bloch is moving on from Lille, so I believe you're correct. Alpha Productions is supposed to begin their Mahler cycle with Paavo Jarvi and the Zurich Tonkunstler. That would be their second cycle, as the David Zinman cycle was made with the Tonkunstler. Go figure! P. Jarvi already has that very good live cycle on video from Frankfurt. It's quite good.
I hadn't heard about this yet, but it's a terrible and disgusting thing. Thanks for informing me. I don't care much for his Mahler recordings, but if anything I like that Third he did quite a bit.

The French perspective on Mahler is always interesting, in my opinion. We don't need Roth for that though; Alexandre Bloch and the Lille Orchestra did wonders with their Seventh and I'm still hoping to hear more from that source. I'm afraid it's a one-off commercial release from that cycle though.
R.I.P. career of Francois-Xavier Roth. Talk about career suicide! I mean, who does that!?!    .    .    .  .   Who has a widely recognized career in public circles, gets attracted to a supposed subordinate (female string player), and decides it's a good idea to send a photo of your dick?!?   .    .   .   .  I just don't get that, do you? I've never once sat around with a buddy in a bar, and have had that friend say to me - either casually or awkwardly - "you know, I'm really attracted to a Susanne in the second violins. Do you think it would be a good idea if I sent her a dick pic?  .    .  .  Do you think she'd like it?"   .    .    .   I mean, I don't ever remember somebody's father telling their son, "You know, son, you're coming to the age in life when people like to receive a little something from you for Christmas. Have you thought about producing Christmas cards of yourself with your junk hanging out?"   .    .    .   .  Doesn't happen, right?    .   .    .    . How does somebody who performs the most complicated and classy music on Earth, decide that sending a 'dick pic' is somehow a good way to court somebody? You're just asking for trouble!

I'll tell you guys, I never bought into Roth to begin with. Talk about the Emperor's new clothes (literally)! He's probably going to get canned from the SWR job that he was just handed, and the French Minister of Culture has decided to suspend Les Siecles in France (I guess they're somehow guilty by association). Relevant to us, Harmonia Mundi has had the worst luck piecing together any kind of Mahler profile. They made only the 8th with Kent Nagano (I think). They have several Mahler symphony recordings with Daniel Harding and the Swedish R.S.O. Then they have the original "Titan", M3, M4 and M5 with Roth. Frankly, I'm kind of glad he won't be going any further. He may be French, but he has zero feel for Maurice Ravel's music.
I'm not surprised. I'm guessing the number of plants that are actually manufacturing SACD hybrid discs is probably very, very small. The art work for an 'ecopack' may be a bit trickier too. It might also be that they want to stagger the release dates between the M3 - which I'm going to guess the preorders for are probably pretty small - and the complete cycle (for which there's probably more interest).
My order for the complete cycle from Amazon was $90.  To compete with Presto, it's likely that Amazon could charge less than what it was initially offered for.  Still, $90 isn't a bad price for a complete cycle.  We shall see.

Got a notice yesterday from Amazon that the original delivery date of the Vanska cycle has been pushed back from June 7 to June 21.

Wade
Yes, and even with BIS using an 'eco-pack', I'm sure the shipping would almost make up any difference in price. Also, if Amazon mispriced it due to a mistake in the original release bulletin to retailers and wholesalers, it's quite possible Amazon may adjust that price before they actually ship it out. They're pretty good about that. I'm very certain that the original price quoted for the Mahler 3 was a mistake. We've seen both Presto and Europadisc adjust their price already.
My order for the complete cycle from Amazon was $90.  To compete with Presto, it's likely that Amazon could charge less than what it was initially offered for.  Still, $90 isn't a bad price for a complete cycle.  We shall see.

Wade
Europadisc is offering the Vanska/M.O./BIS M3 at $26.31. They're also showing the complete Vansaka cycle for barely over $70. I believe Europdisc charges less for shipping than Presto Classical does.

https://www.europadisc.co.uk/classical/241125/Mahler_-_Symphony_no.3.htm?currency=2&country=6&gad_source=4&gclid=CjwKCAjwupGyBhBBEiwA0UcqaAtUax45GZ6cA500ccxGdrFQ5x6jowX1KAg1_HBUbm6TXTQME-HaYBoCeqYQAvD_BwE
Friends visiting Vienna stopped in at the ticket office and 'Kultur-lounge' on Herrengasse 10 in downtown Vienna for the Tonkunstler Orchester. Looking on Google Maps, it looks like kind of a cute place. Anyway, they scored me a hard copy of the Mahler 7 with Yutaka Sado. Now I own their M2, M3 and M7. If I were a wealthy man, I would have asked them to at least get the M1 as well (which includes "Blumine").

I know they have an M6 in the works. And if they get a half-way decent cast of soloists, I think their M8 could be really something. We'll wait and see.
I've heard Jansons' M5 before, and I do like it. I just wish he plowed on through where the trombones blast out their descending scale, and the strings begin chugging away - THEN slow down for the reprise of the brass chorale. I just prefer it that way (as written). But I have no issue with the rest of his M5. It's certainly more interesting than the Boulez one (Boulez's early BBC S.O. M5 was fabulous).

I've now listened to Janson's BRSO M3, and half of the M4. I like the M3 a lot, and the M4 is better than I thought it was. I like that he has the timpani pound on the final two notes of the first movement. I'm not sure I've ever noticed anyone else do that.

None of these are probably 'first choice' performances, but I just like the consistency of this cycle, both in terms of performances and sound. In that regard, it minds of the Bertini and Inbal cycles, only a bit lighter I suppose.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk